Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Best Friends

Tonight at dinner, Emma asked me who my best friend was.  I told her I have a bunch of really good friends, but I'm not sure who I would say was my best friend. 

She thought for a minute and said, "Oh, I know.  It's Daddy!" 

I smiled and said, "Right you are Emma.  I would rather be with Daddy than any other person on the planet." 

I sure love that man.  I love his kindness, his sense of humor, his faithfulness, and especially the way he fathers our kiddos.  I'm so proud that Emma can see how much we love being together.  I hope she seeks out that kind of a relationship when its time for her to get married.  Growing up, I saw it in my parents, and knew that was the kind of marriage I wanted to have.  I loved the way my dad looked at my mom.  I loved when they would have inside jokes that we didn't understand.  I loved watching my dad take her out on a date every weekend.  I loved watching my dad steal a kiss from my mom while she was cooking dinner.  I grew up in a house where best friends married and I loved it.

I can't tell you how much it means to me that Emma sees that in us already.  I so wanted to be married to my best friend, and I am forever grateful that it worked out that way. 

No comments: