Thursday, June 18, 2009

Baking bread...


Shane and I have been trying to cut down on as much extra spending as we can. There is some delicious bread that we love at the Issaquah market, but is $4.50 a loaf. It's very hearty, lots of whole grain and fiber, and we love it! Emma loves it too which is even better.

One day we were at a friends house and Emma had a sandwich on white "wonder" bread, and Emma took one bite and could not eat it. She told me it was sticking to the top of her mouth, pushed it away and said "no thank you". Now, we had a little talk about eating what is given to you, but I couldn't help being a little proud of her, for not loving the white fluffy bread. I'm glad my little girl is a whole-wheat, hearty bread-loving-toddler.

So, we decided instead of buying bread, that I would start baking bread. We have the whole wheat flour in our food storage, and I found a yummy recipe that we tried earlier this week for the first time, and we are in love. So today, I made a big batch to eat now and freeze for later, too. It's not quite as delicious as the $4.50 a loaf, but there's really nothing that beats the taste of bread fresh from the oven. I also can't hide the fact that I love putting on an apron and spending the morning kneading dough, and filling the house with such a warm, pleasing, and comforting scent. There's just nothing like fresh baked bread.

3 comments:

Tom and Emily said...

Yuuuuummmmmmy!

JenRocks said...

It looks delicous! The picture is so awesome I thought it was stock photography, then I thought I bet that is really her oven! Very awesome - I'd love a copy of your recipe if you can email it to me. Josh loves anything homecooked!

heather said...

mmmmm...wish we could eat homemade bread :) Hope you are enjoying your vacation!